Looks like a solid trip, definitely beats staying home where all waters were blown out this weekend. Those piscifun reels are vastly underrated as well. A bizarre brand name, but they work like a charm, especially for the price.
On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 6:31:33 PM UTC-4, TurbineBlade wrote:
-- On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 6:31:33 PM UTC-4, TurbineBlade wrote:
I've been meaning to string up this little rod to chase brook trout for a while, and finally got around to doing so today. This is a 6' 5-weight built by Carl Z. and generously given to me so I'd have a "shorty" glass rod to play around with out there. It's a spinning blank that some dudes figured would make a reasonable fly rod, refereed to as "tadpoles" I gather. I strung it with a 6-weight line for short, "brookie" casts.In Carl's words it isn't a "fancy" rod by any stretch, but it flings a line just fine honestly. I like it not only because it's fun to play with short rods once in a while, but because it's a good reminder that fly fishing is really just a person standing there trying to catch unintelligent animals with a flexible stick -- to hell with "progressive tapers" discussions.This particular stream is one of our favorites when water is high everywhere else, but even it was higher than ideal. All of the fish were piled up along the edges -- but many were willing to bite!Thanks Carl -- I actually find that short fly rods are more challenging and less forgiving than longer rods to cast. They're another great teaching tool -- This rod will not replace my beloved fenwick ff706, but it's really a lot of fun to break out once in a while.That's Bethy in the bushes -- quite a small, tight stream!Gene
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f9a4c6da-1370-476e-9a6b-9e16b3586dd7%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
No comments:
Post a Comment