Friday, May 9, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Shenandoah main stem

Hey Brad,
 
I'm not saying it should be illegal, just that I wouldn't do it. It seems counterproductive to discourage anyone who is trying to be a more responsible angler. I don't always fish barbless, but I'm not going to harp on anyone who does. It probably wouldn't cause much disturbance for me to kill and eat a couple 20" smallmouth, but I'm not going to do it.
 
For the record, the water was so turbid we couldn't tell whether the bottom was cobble, vegetation, or priceless Tiffany glass figurines. Probably not the latter, I'm reasonably certain. 
 
And yes, we had a knife, and ended up cutting off the anchor we did have. The water was really pumping; it was probably a mistake to drop anything in that current.
 
-Miles
 

On Friday, May 9, 2014 9:32:11 AM UTC-4, Brad wrote:
Good grief. To both Debbie's here. Very little disturbance produced IMHO and certainly less than any other anchor I have used. If anchoring in aquatic vegetation, it pulls up far less weeds. Oh and use it responsibly. I will not pull it through any SAVs and generally only use it in pace water with a gravel or cobble bottom. 

I use a drag chain as my only anchor in my canoe. I operate it off a Scotty anchor lock off the stern so I can adjust depth from my seat. I have several lengths of the thickest chain that will slip through a mountain bike inner tube. And the inner tube keeps it silent. Completely silent. I use zip ties to hold the tube on. I also think the inner tubes disturb the bottom less and you hang on the bottom less. I use a big carabiner to clip on more or less sections of chain depending on conditions. 

Safety wise, always have a knife on your person capable of cutting your anchor line in one swipe. All anchors hang in current. Use common sense and if the flow is really pushing or the bottom really rocky or "hangy" don't use it. 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f3104575-7cc5-4050-8a55-f77cacdfb4f1%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment