Thursday, May 8, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Shenandoah main stem

I was hearing things about using a drag chain with rivers that have current.  It sounds like a cool idea and I may fabricate one for my kayak.

Basically it sounds like a heavy length of chain that has a shrink wrap over it (to reduce noise).  It is attached to a rope and then drug behind a kayak to slow it down in the current.  It will probably cause the boat to stop from time to time if it snags a rock. 

This may have helped the other day in the stronger current.

Either way, when the water is stained it makes for VERY hard conditions for a smallmouth bass.  Increased current often makes the fish go deep and they hide behind structures in the current (based on my experiences). 

Towards the end of May the fishing for smallmouth should pick up.  When I did a lot of smallmouth fishing I always caught the biggest fish of the year at the end of May.  I blew this last year on the Potomac in the summer but it worked this way for a while.

Let's hope that this rain slows down and we can start floating the river in better conditions.  I really want to do a few floats in the end of May before Memorial Day Weekend (NEVER GO ON THE RIVER ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND).  It gets nutty.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/5efa94ca-2ced-445f-be30-ba0252c14d4a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment